Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day

Today was the first day of my senior year. As you may have deduced from the title. Here are my thoughts on my classes:
  1. Senior Mentor - I ended up being a Senior Mentor for one of our women choirs--which makes me happy because I can help the Altos bang out notes, practice, or take my private lesson during that period.
  2. AP Calculus BC - The teacher, Cap'n Crotteau is way more awesome than I remembered. The man is incredibly intelligent, has like eight degrees, toured as a professional golfer, and was a captain on a nuclear submarine. I don't understand why he would choose to put up with a bunch of high-schoolers every day, but I sure am glad he does, because he's stinkin' hilarious! However, instead of having us sit in rows like a normal math teacher, we sit in table clumps, like in first grade. I named my table "The Table of Champions". I pleased (and slightly intimidated) with the people at my table.
  3. Campus Singers- There are 73 people in that choir. That is way too many. I was going to audition for Alto section leader, but one of our vocal virtuosos (and choir president) that I thought was a Soprano II (but used to be an alto) moved back, and I think she is more cut out for the job.
  4. AP English IV- This class is WAY TOO LARGE. There are 38 people in a class with 36 desks. It makes me feel claustrophobic and socially awkward. We also have a gigantoid project called Poet Museum. My teacher, Ms. Simons, told us that we can work alone or in pairs. I am very independent--I am an introverted, finicky, obsessive perfectionist. I like to hog projects, and given the opportunity, I will do them by myself. However, my dear friend (who I ADORE) gave me "the do-you-want-to-be-partners?" look. I'm in a pickle.
  5. AP Physics- I am so excited for another year of my Physics teacher's obliviousness--it's quite entertaining.
  6. Lunch
  7. AP Macroeconomics- I think I am going to love this class. There are only 16 people, and they are some of my favorite people in the world. Yesssssss.
  8. Pre-AP Spanish IV- I am pleasantly surprised with this one. I expected to feel awkward being a senior in a class full of sophomores, but I really don't. There are about 12 people, so I think we'll really get to know each other. However, all but two or three of us are girls, which is weird because Spanish is usually the language that the guys take.
After school, I got a call from a representative for Naval ROTC. I have a meeting with him this Friday at Starbucks. Which makes me super nervous because I heard that a guy at my school had a scarring experience with an Air Force Academy rep. The man sounded nice on the phone...

I also met my (potential) organ teacher today. He was nice. Kinda smelled weird. But he was nice. My dad had mixed feelings about taking organ lessons because he wants to teach me lessons about budgeting and whatnot. But I'm going to try my hardest to go through with this.

So far, I haven't screwed up my fast from solid food and facebook. However, I've been playing massive amounts of piano to avoid thinking about it. I really think I should try to pursue the spiritual aspect of the fast, but I'm so afraid about confronting my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment