Friday, August 27, 2010

A Good Car Wreck and an Interview

So, this morning, I woke up and spent a substantial amount of time completing an essay for my Naval ROTC application, which I had to have finished by the time of my interview (which was afterschool). I printed off my application and resume, made a mental note to finish my calculus homework during my first period choir mentor, and walked out of the door.

I had a ton on my mind. I was sleep deprived, thinking about limits, and extremely nervous about my interview. But those aren't legitimate excuses.

As I was getting ready to make a right and turn of my neighborhood, I noticed how the cars in front of my weren't making "full and complete" stops at the stop sign, and I made a point of doing so.

But I forgot to look left.

And so, I ran into an SUV. I didn't notice it was there until I ran into it and knocked my bumper clean off. I pulled to the side of the road, got out, and blurted to the driver (which happened to be a fellow student), "That was completely my fault. I am so sorry."

The boy retorted in a harsh tone, "Yeah. It was."

As he walked toward my car, he cussed, and then simmered down. I gave him my contact information and proceeded to start sobbing. I had an interview after school, and I needed the car. My next concern was about my parents' reaction.

Within a minute or two, my neighbor (who happens to be a big-wig in the Houston Police Department) came to the rescue and helped us figure out what to do until the police from my city arrived.

Eventually, three or four police cars arrived. They were extremely helpful--I was expecting a fine or a ticket, but they were empathetic and didn't give me a citation. One of the officers said it was a "good car wreck" because no one was hurt and the damage wasn't that substantial.

And so, my Dad came and took me to school, and I was flustered all day. I probably failed my Wuthering Heights test, despite reading the book twice and reading a large amount of criticism.

My father also took me to my ROTC interview, which I think went surprisingly well. Probably because it was more of a Q&A session than an interview.




In other news, it's officially high school football season. Go 'stangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment