Thursday, September 23, 2010

Little Orphan Antigone

After we finished Oedipus, we began reading Antigone, the third tragedy in the Oedipus trilogy. Because my class is so boring when they play emotional characters, I volunteered to read for Antigone. I love this play. Antigone is crazy passionate, and a total reb--she's basically the coolest person ever. My English teacher said that the part suits me well.

A large part of the play is intended to be sung, so I channeled my inner Sinead O'Connor. This was really funny, because another character sang his lines in a jazzy-bluegrass style. The contrast was absolutely perfect, although I couldn't focus on what was actually being said. I'll try to get it on video and post it later--hope fully we'll sing again.

I was oddly not nervous, and I have just about the worst nerves in existence. However, I do sit in the front row, so I didn't dwell on the fact that there were 38 other people in the room, some of whom I know sing far better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment