Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fall Concert

chTonight was the annual Friendswood High School Choir Fall Concert. Hoorah.

Initially, I wasn't planning on doing a post about this, but I had a request to put a picture from it on my blog, so I'm doing this instead of the 80 lbs of homework that I should be doing.

There's your picture. Are you happy now?

In all actuality, I totally don't mind putting specific pictures, giving mini shout-outs, or blogging about something that you request. If you want to see yourself, someone else, or a specific topic, just let me know or leave a comment.

Oh, yes--the concert. I figured I would just give my opinions on the choirs, regardless of whether you care or not.

  • Treble Choir- This is the freshman choir; they sang Ricevete by Mozart (arr. by Liebergen) and The Storm is Passing Over by Tindley (arr. by Baker). They were pretty good... for a freshman choir. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it was immature. Ricevete was okay, but they seemed pretty timid, and the song sounded so... lifeless. At the end of the piece, one girl decided to be the "hero" of the choir and belt her note--that was fairly distracting. The choir seemed to enjoy The Storm is Passing Over more, and it showed. It was still pretty dull, but it sounded so much more put-together and mature.
  • Concert Men's Choir- This is the choir for guys who are in their first year in choir and/or didn't make the cut for our mixed choir. There aren't many people in there, which is sad. They sang The Vagabond by Laura Farnell and This Train (arr. by Emerson). The Vagabond was cute, I guess. During this piece, I mainly paid attention to the one animated person in the choir. I loved This Train--you could pick out certain people, definitely, but it was pretty good.
  • Varsity Women's Choir- We have two women choirs that combine for concerts to form the Varsity Women--during the first period class, I'm an aid, so I know all of the pieces by heart. J'entends Le Moulin, their first piece, seemed sloppy. But I think this is due to combining two choirs that have very little practice with each other. Their second piece, Heart, We Will Forget Him was technically stronger, but it sounded so timid. However, there are over 60 girls in that choir, and while it shouldn't have sounded so weak with that many people, the director probably told them to back down.
  • Combined District Women's Choir- The girls that auditioned to be in the Region choir sang a piece by Z. Randall Stroope called Psalm 23. In the performance, my main thoughts were about blending, and it's hard to judge the performance of the judge while surrounded by earth mother Alto II's, but it seemed fairly solid to me. The choir thought it was hilarious when someone blurted out, "WOW!" immediately after the director lowered her hands.
  • Campus Singers- This is our mixed choir, the most elite and theoretically the best of the choirs. The Region audition process is mandatory for the members of the choir, and thus, we sung some of our audition pieces: Daemon Irrepit Callidus by Orban and Sure On This Shining Night by Morten Lauridsen. In class rehearsals, we had issues getting the end of Daemon to "ring" (echo off the walls), and I didn't think it improved much. Otherwise, I felt like our performance was fairly solid--it seemed more emotional and cohesive than in rehearsals. Of course, I was one of the performers, so my opinion is probably not the most accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment