Monday, April 4, 2011

BEDA 4: Science Fiction



Yeah, I'm going to be honest. I don't really have time to blog tonight, what with a remainder of a dystopian novel (Brave New World) asking to be read, the executive branch wishing to be studied, and Calculus begging to be reviewed.

Nevertheless, I'm finding the time to discuss science fiction.

A good majority of my time is devoted to science fiction, in fact. Reading it, watching it, forcing other people to read or watch it, discussing it. But the funny thing is that I wasn't always into that broad sub-genre of literature and film. I mean, I read science fiction books in elementary school, but they weren't my favorite--I was definitely more enamored with the Wizard of Oz, Harry Potter, and Anne of Green Gables back in the day.

If I could pinpoint any moment in which I started enjoying sci-fi, and absorbing every robotic ounce of it, I would say it was either after reading 1984 in the eighth grade, or watching GATTACA in freshman biology (still one of my favorite movies). Sometime after that, I started obsessively watching Star Trek, fully aware of its camp value and utter cliche-ness, and reading novels by the likes of H.G. Wells.

I'm not sure why I like it. I suppose I just enjoy reading and watching outlandish and pessimistic visions of what humanity could be or may have been. I enjoy how (literally) alien the conflict described is to the boring hum-drum of much of human life. And I like forming conspiracies, and being frightened out of my wits by just how similar dystopian life is to many Earth societies.

I don't have a better conclusion to this, so here's a video:


No comments:

Post a Comment