Sunday, April 3, 2011

BEDA 2: Pi in your Face



So, raise your hand if you promised to blog every day in April, and then completely forgot about it the second day. Oh, just me? Whoops.

I suppose I'll compensate for the lack of yesterday by double-posting today. That's right, twice the fun. But not really.

A few weeks ago, the Math and Science Club celebrated Pi Day, which traditionally falls on March 14th... but we celebrated it March 22nd. But it's okay because pie is delicious. Speaking of which, a new restaurant called the Pie Garden just opened. It's like iHop, except with more pie, worse food, worse service, and more old people. Do not recommend.

Anyway, I don't really understand the point of pi. I mean, I understand that it's the ratio of the circumference to the diameter, and that it's used in many, many equations, but things would be so much easier if it were the ratio of the circumference to the radius. Like, the whole radians thing where you have to multiply by two? Ridiculous.

Watch this video for a better explanation.



Yeah, I think I'm going to refuse to use pi in Calculus, opting to use tau instead. That'll go over well.

Pictures from Pi Day?






Yeah, Math and Science Club is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment